The Historical Site consists of a two-story frame house
constructed circa 1840 and extensively renovated in
1941 when flanking hyphens and wings were added to create
the present five-part country house characterized by
its overriding symmetry and neo classically inspired
architectural details. The main house is sited within
a 4.59-acre Environmental Setting that contains mature
landscaping and a small cottage and garage building
from the mid-twentieth century.
The Site is both architecturally and historically significant.
The imposing dwelling has a five-bay main facade with
a centered entrance with a six-panel door flanked by
three-light sidelights and surmounted by a three-light
transom. The entrance surround is composed of wide flat
pilasters supporting a plain entablature above the doorway.
Across the main facade and around the entire house are
symmetrical arrangements of 6/6 double-hung sash windows
with plain board surrounds and louvered shutters. The
main block sits on a high brick foundation and the entire
house is sheathed in narrow, flush-board wood siding.
Below the shallow slate-covered hipped roof is an overhanging
cornice with modillions and a wide frieze.
property is historically significant not only because
it retains features from the 1840s, with a full Georgian
plan typical of the period, but also because the dimensions
of the main block may date from an earlier house on
the site listed in the 1798 Federal Direct Tax. The
house is recognized for its long association with the
Brooke family, which owned and resided at the property
from 1793 through 1941 and for its association with
William H. Tuck (The current Perrywood subdivision resides
on what was known as the Tuck Farm) who purchased the
house in 1941. William H. Tuck, who renovated the house
in 1941, was involved in international business and
banking concerns, and in public service, particularly
in overseas relief efforts during World War I (The house
was a built-in bomb shelter) and World War II. Tuck
served as Director-General of the International Refugee
Organization, an agency of the United Nations from 1947-1949.
can be surmised that the street naming convention of
Perrywood came about from the large quantity of waterfowl
that came to call this area home throughout the year.
Each street within Perrywood carries the name of migratory
and indigenous fowl. The large open water areas currently
serve as nesting and resting places for these birds.